Who hasn’t been to Portugal and made it to the top belem cake? We confess our sin and promise to get it under control now we know the recipe.
This is a version of the mythical puff pastry tarts with cream of the confectioner Luis Costa. Throughout the week he enjoys Menudos Torres. The common link of their desserts: simplicity, affordable ingredients and exciting results.
Belem cake recipeBelem cake recipedesserts
- 375 ml of milk
- cream 125 g
- 1 vanilla pod
- 30 g of egg yolks
- 75 g eggs
- 105 g of sugar
- 35 g corn flour
- thin puff pastry
- First we prepare the base of the dessert. We will already have the puff pastry, either bought or made from this recipe.
- Open the puff pastry and cut out a round shape with a diameter of 10 cm
- Place the disk of dough on a pan turned upside down. On top of the dough, add another flanner, or similar form, larger than the one we have placed. We press and this way we will keep the shape when we take it in the oven.
- Bake in the oven for 35 minutes, at 160-170º.
- Next, we prepare the cream. Boil the cream, milk and sugar. Optional: we can add the seeds of the vanilla pod.
- Mix the yolks, egg and cornmeal in a bowl. When the mixture is homogenized, we incorporate the preparation with milk cream little by little.
- Put on the fire and do not stop stirring until the mixture thickens, for about 2 minutes.
- We take the tarts that we have pre-baked in the oven, and on top we have the pastry cream. Divide the cream well and put it in the oven for 20 minutes at 160-170º.
- Unmould and sprinkle with sugar.